It's been a while since I've posted anything unrelated to lab-life, or any post for that matter in the past few weeks. Lots of things had been happening, and it's not just Chinese New Year.
Two weeks ago while having a barbeque reunion dinner with my housemates and friends in campus, I called home to find out that mum require an immediate surgery. Suffice to say, I was shocked at the urgency and that the reason the surgery commanded immediate action was because her haemoglobin level had dropped to a 'dangerously low' level. However, mum was quite reluctant to undergo the surgery given that her physician failed to give her a clear explaination that would have assisted in her decision making. I was certainly unhappy with that as I felt it was unprofessional of the doctor to not ensure the patient was well-informed before making decision regarding a major surgery. Hence, I decided to take a red eye flight out of Sg and return home to take mum to another physician for a second opinion.
Like I said, I was amidst a barbeque gathering, and thought it would be rude to leave early, given that my housemates had been trying to include me for the gathering (thank you AM, WW! ^.^). Besides, it has been such a long time since I've met up with so many friends and I was dying for a large helping of barbeque-ed marshmallows. And it's not everyday your seniors pay for the barbeque! (thank you 'old people'!! >_<). So we ate and had some good laughs, and by the time I was back in my room, it was way past midnight. I had only 4 hours before I had to leave for the airport, so I decided against sleeping for fear of failing to wake up in time. To kill time, I showered, did laundry, and watched drama. By the time I was to leave for the airport, I felt kinda woozy and lightheaded.
Fortunately for me, I managed to hail a cab quickly, clambered inside, and thought I could catnap while being chauffered to the airport. As I was drifting off, I suddenly felt the cab slowly decelerating. Almost as quickly, the driver stomped on the accelerator abruptly. I blearily opened my eyes, and to my horror the driver himself was DRIFTING OFF as well!!
Now let me tell you, taking a cab driven by someone equally as sleepy as you is certainly no fun ride. My veins nearly popped when I watched the cab veering off the lane and in the direction of the side curb. I didn't know if I should thank my lucky stars when the driver 'regain consciousness' just in time to steer the vehicle back in lane. He was obviously VERY sleepy as he kept rubbing his eyes and ate sweets to keep awake. In the end, I had a terribly unnerving 30-minute journey, all the time praying that we would reach the airport a.s.a.p. before he knocked out cold.
By the time I really did reach the airport, I was very very tired as I couldn't sleep a wink during the terror ride (could you?). It didn't help that the airport was obscenely bright, cheery and full of enthusiastic human all giddy for holiday tours, while I was grumpy and sleepy. After checked in, I grabbed a pretzel and a cup of tea before briskly headed off to the boarding gate. Plonking on a cushioned seat in front of the still-closed gate, I shut my eyes, ignored stares from cheery holidaymakers, tuned out the glaring lights and loud banter, and fell asleep. Fortunately I managed to wake up for boarding, and once inside the plane, I fell asleep even before the plane taxi-ed.
When I touched down, it was already morning, and I immediately accompanied mum to the hospital. We had to go through a series of check ups before the doctor sat us down to discuss about the diagnosis and prognosis. I was much more satisfied with the professionalism of this second doctor, and after hearing out her advice, mum decided to go ahead with the surgery. You see!?! Compassion and soft skills are essential in treating your patients! *fumes at first doctor*
I had to return to Sg immediately as I had not taken any leave from my supervisor. It had been a tiring weekend, and fell asleep again during the flight back. When I did reach my room, it was again way past midnight and all I wanted to do was fall onto bed.
So, the next morning I immediately talked to my supervisor regarding my situation and she was extremely kind to allow me leave until mum recovered considerably. I was very grateful for her kindness, because I was counting on the leave to go home to post-surgery care to mum until she can move around independently. After settling some leftover experiments, I immediately rushed out of lab to catch the next flight back to hometown again. When I called dad on the way out, I was shocked to find out the surgery is already underway. I was shocked because I felt the hospital did not execute the procedure properly and had led to distress to the patient & family, but since the operation is already in the process, I just leave the matters as it is and prepared to travel back home again.
It was already night when I reached home and rushed to the hospital. I then took over dad's shift to look after mum over the night. This is my first experience being a caregiver a.k.a. night-nurse, and I must say it is not easy. It was very difficult trying to keep awake, as I hadn't slept properly at all during the whole weekend. Besides mum was very weak and required attention throughout the night, so it was quite a challenge.
Fortunately the surgery went well without complications, and mum has since gotten better, thanks to all well-wishers. I had taken a long leave to assist mum as long as possible, and had learnt many things along the way. A caregiver's role is not to be taken lightly, and I have come to respect their attentiveness and compassion.
This year's Chinese New Year was comparatively much simpler and quieter than previous years, but just as enjoyable. It was nice to have reunion gatherings because with all work and study overseas, we had hardly have time together as a family. I get to view New Year from my parents' perspective: polishing urns, preparing prayer paraphenalia, vegetable marketing, scaling fishes, hovering over hot stoves, oily pots, endless cooking - basically lots of HARDWORK! The goodness of homemade food and clean altars does not come easy!
Mum had since gotten better from her surgery, but I'm still sticking around home for sometime until she has recuperated enough to return to her routine indepedently. At the moment, I hope my pet E.coli sits in the freezer obediently till I get back to lab working with them!!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!
~みはる~
Little Raincoat Girls
-
Little girls in raincoats are so cute.
[image: Photobucket]
Saw a little girl decked in a mini-raincoat and carrying a mini
strawberry-shaped umbrella on ...
15 years ago
By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment