This Lunchtime Concert series had been going on for a couple of years now, and until today, never had I experienced it once. Either I did not have the time, or I simply do not bother (usually the latter :P ).
However, thanks to the influence of Nodame Cantabile drama, I had come to enjoy classical music. If I had the chance, I would like to watch a Philharmonic Orchestra performing Beethoven's Symphony No.7, or Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2. One of the piano performances in the Nodame Cantabile live-action drama that piqued my interest was Yuuto-kun's playing of Brahm's Variations on a Theme by Paganini. Although he was a meanie in the drama, the technique was very impressive. Watching the scene, I could only think, "Wow.." The piece appeared technically difficult, but the sound was beautiful.
Thus, when I saw the invitation for the upcoming Lunchtime Concert was a Piano Recital by Juyeon Kang who will be performing Brahm's Variations on a Theme by Paganini, I was determine not to miss this one and only piano recital. Die die, also must go.

The performing pianist, Juyeon Kang, is a widely-travelled and highly sought after concert artist. She has a string of impressive credentials, and has been described as a pianist of "formidable technique and exquisite sound". I admit to having know nothing of her, but I definitely did not want to miss a live performance of Brahm's Variation on a Theme by Paganini regardless who the performing pianist is.
However, my gel electrophoresis ate up 15 mins of my time, thus when I reached the lecture theatre, Juyeon Kang had already begun her performance of Hadyn's Sonata in C. Although it was only an hour long, the recital was fabulous. I thoroughly enjoyed all the pieces, especially Grieg's Wedding Day at Trouldhaugen and Brahm's Variation on a Theme by Paganini. The live performance of Brahms was beautiful. There was so much energy and spirit in the performance, that I could feel my pulse quickening at the crescendoes. Watching her play, I was impressed with the technique. Brahm's Variation of a Theme by Paganini is said to be one of the most virtuosic works of Brahms, and it is technically very difficult to play. Juyeon herself said that she took 3-4 years to master it! And she mastered it well, because I love her performance!
Now I'm just waiting for another pianist to hold a lunctime recital to perform Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2 with a full-fledge orchestra......
PS: Did you know that Paganini is a historical violin virtuoso who was capable of playing three octaves across four strings in a hand span? That is considered an impossible feat even by today's standards and it was said that Paganini traded his soul to the Demon for this violinistic technique... In contrary, I think he's got some kind of genetic diseases that gave him long and flexible fingers to become such a virtouso.
~みはる~
By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment