- 3. PCR tubes
The tiny PCR tubes are unwitting hazards. Small microfuge tubes with tiny but tight caps which requires considerable strength to cap and uncap them. It is okay if you run 1 or 2 PCR samples, but when you are doing mass sampling using PCR tubes (like 40s - 100s), repeated peeling of the caps can severely chip your nails. I have already ruined two digits in the process of sampling close to 80 tubes, and am in urgent need of nail therapy. Shucks, I have another 40 tubes tomorrow!!
- 2. Long hours without meals nor sleep
There are some days when your deadline is near and you work round the clock and the canteen is closed when you are waiting for your gel to run... you might just end up not eating nor sleeping for some time. Three consecutive days of working non-stop with only ~5 hours sleep each day, and an average of less than one meal in 24 hours is really taking a toll on my mind and gastrointestinal system. In fact, lately when I walk back to my room from campus, I feel kinda floaty. Hmm.
- 1. Muscle sprain
This is my number one hazard. Poor ergonomics in the lab setting and continous laboring leads to injury of the muscle. My back and neck muscles had been protesting for several days now as a result of sitting at the BSC for many hours straight in the lab, and today all my muscles gave way. They sprained so bad I couldn't stand straight for long and had to walk crookedly. My neck muscle is burning in strain and I had to tilt my head to relieve the pain. What undignified sight.
Research in the lab in truly not without such horrible occupational hazards.
~みはる~
By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment