I quote NHS:
There are many different symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and they can vary from person to person. Most women only experience a few symptoms each month, but these may differ over time. For example, you may find that you have similar symptoms every month but that they vary in intensity. Equally, you may find that you have slightly different symptoms every few months. PMS tends to be different for every woman.
As many as 150 different symptoms of PMS have been recorded, but the most common are:
- feeling irritable and bad tempered, (so that's why I was mad at the whole world the other day)
- fluid retention and feeling bloated, (nope)
- mood swings, (that explains my sudden happy-depress-annoyed-disinterest mode)
- changes to your skin and hair, (hmmm... does unexplained bruising count?)
- feeling upset or emotional, (very frequently, totally)
- insomnia (trouble sleeping), (nope... sleep like a log)
- difficulty concentrating, (oh yea... short attention span)
- backache, (yes... and I thought I was getting old!)
- muscle and joint pain, (no wonder I get cramps at the side!!)
- breast tenderness, (uh.. not really)
- tiredness, (absolutely... won't be enough even if I slept the whole day)
- some weight gain (up to 1 kg), and (1kg??!! NO)
- appetite changes, or food cravings (that's why I've been eating curry and spices!)
The symptoms of PMS usually happen at the same time in your menstrual cycle each month, which can be up to two weeks before your period starts. They usually improve once your period has started, and then disappear until your cycle starts again.
While most women with PMS find their symptoms uncomfortable, a small percentage find that they are severe enough to stop them living their normal lives. This is due to a more intense type of PMS known as premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). The symptoms of PMDD tend to be similar to those of PMS, but more exaggerated.Causes
The exact cause of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is not fully understood, but there are a number of possible factors that may contribute to the symptoms. These are detailed below.
Hormonal changes
During your menstrual cycle, levels of hormones, such as oestrogen and progesterone, rise and fall. Hormonal changes are thought to be the biggest contributing factor to many of the symptoms of PMS. The fact that PMS improves during pregnancy, and after the menopause, when hormone levels are stable, supports this theory.
Chemical changes
Like your hormone levels, certain chemicals in your brain, such as serotonin, fluctuate during your menstrual cycle. Serotonin is known to help regulate your mood and make you feel happier, and so it is possible that women with low levels of serotonin are particularly sensitive to the symptoms of PMS. Low levels of serotonin may also contribute to symptoms such as tiredness, food cravings, and insomnia (difficulty sleeping).
Stress
You may find that your symptoms of PMS become worse the more stressed you are. While it is not a direct cause, being stressed can aggravate the symptoms of PMS.
Diet
Eating too much of some foods, and too little of others, may also contribute to the symptoms of PMS. For example, too much salty food may add to fluid retention, and make you feel bloated, and alcohol and caffeinated drinks can disrupt your mood and energy levels. Low levels of vitamins and minerals may also make your symptoms of PMS worse.
I need more serotonin.
~みはる~
By



2 penciled thoughts:
Geezus. Now I know why I've got cravings for spicy food every month! D: *must watch weight*
chotto abunai deshou?
Post a Comment