2

Broken Glass

Since several months back, I have been going through a rough patch.
As I look back, I can only describe it to an analogy of a broken glass.

Have you ever had a favorite glass? Be it a cup or decorative or otherwise, one that carries a lot of meaning to you and you treasure it very much?

I have. Or rather, I had.

Then one day, for some reason or other, my glass broke into pieces.
I was so sad. My favorite glass shattered.
But I couldn't find a way to discard it, so I tried to put it back together.
However, it is not the same glass as before. I don't think it can ever be.
It didn't look as good as before, but I can live with it. It is my favorite anyway.

Then, unfortunately, another blow came and shattered my pieced-back glass into even smaller pieces.
Even though it broke my heart, I still can't find a way to part with the glass, so again, I picked up the shards and tried very hard to put it back together.

This went on for a couple more times; with each time the broken shards became smaller as I tried harder to put all the tiny pieces back together. And the smaller the broken shards, the more cuts I sustain from piecing back the glass, the more blood I bled from my fingers and my hands.

Then one day, I finally realized my hands were bleeding profusely.
In my blind focus of piecing back my favorite glass, I didn't see the cuts of the glass in my hands.
I didn't see the blood that was bleeding from the cuts.
I was simply desperate to salvage my favorite glass.
I didn't realize that by clutching on harder to the increasingly smaller shards, I was hurting myself more.
For the first time, I realized the bleeding hurt more than losing my favorite glass.

And then, I released my clutch on the glass.
I let go of the broken glass.
I let the glass pieces fall.
But this time, I didn't pick it up again.

I don't know which hurt more; the profuse falling of my tears or the profuse bleeding of my hands.
I don't know whether I should have worked harder to save my favorite glass.
But I want to stop bleeding. I want to start healing.
That's why I released my hold.

What would you do with your broken glass?

~みはる~

2 penciled thoughts:

Anonymous said...

When salvaging the glass, have concentrated too great in it, that don even realise all the bleeding shards which pierce thru..
May be still realise what's happening, but keep telling "I can take it"

It's way too pain to look back what's happened.
But it's worthy, at least have tried very best and no regrets; then be able to walk away confidently and willingly without looking back again.

Keep Faith! :)

Mizuki said...

what happened? if need to talk can tell me anytime..I might not be very wise in giving advice, but I can always lend an ear & a shoulder at anytime :)

as for the glass, I'm sure you've had good times having it around, being your favourite one of all.
If it hadn't fall and break, you wouldn't have known it means so much :)

We will lose things many times as we go through life, and sometimes we keep holding on, fearful of letting go, but if it's to the extent of hurting yourself too much, it's good to have a time to realise that you've done a lot, and that's all that you can do for now.

If it is already broken, all we have now are pieces of it and the memories to bring along, with that, we must move on..and perhaps as we move on, we may find another favourite glass that may bring similar happiness or something more than that? :)

Back to Top