However, almost all anime opening and ending themes either fall in the J-pop or J-rock basket, thus I was afraid the use of such contemporary recordings would not only ruin the classical music theme of Nodame Cantabile, but would simply sound plain weird. I mean, imagine rock music and Beethoven's Piano Sonata Pathetique together... it's just plain weird.
However, when I saw the opening of the first episode of Nodame Cantabile, I was pleasantly surprised by JC Staff's ingenuity. The opening theme is an upbeat song written and performed by Suemitsu & The Suemith called, Allegro Cantabile. I thought the track was very creative in that it was sort of a reference to an important track in the story, Nodame's lively rendition of Beethoven's Pathetique - Adagio Cantabile. The tune is quite infectious and to top it off, the opening sequence is very attractive (although quite reminiscent of Honey & Clover II's Fugainaiya opening sequence). They had also cleverly incorporated snippets of Beethoven's Symphony No.7 in the opening theme.
The Allegro Cantabile single has since been released by Suemitsu & The Suemith on 21st February. I had not listened to Suemitsu & The Suemith before, so I took it from the name that it is either a band or a group of 2. To my surprise, Suemitsu & The Suemith comprise of only 1 guy, Suemitsu Atsushi !!! O.O
Anyway, I find the song pretty good and the PV is quite cool too. Watching it, you can't help wondering what the hell happened to the grand piano. Try throwing Nippon black paint over an ivory white grand piano?
Here's Suemitsu & The Suemith for you!
By the way, do you think Suemitsu-san actually played the song with such slippery fingers? There's no way I could hit the right keys with black paint all over my digits.
~みはる~
By



3 penciled thoughts:
You know, when I saw the PV I thought that it was boring... but boredom changed into disgust when they started SQUIRTING black paint on that piano. Can they just NOT waste that white piano and give it to me...? (although it'd suck having the black keys painted white too...)
haha.. I totally understand. When black paint started dripping onto the keyboards I thought it was gross. Then when Suemitsu kept banging on the keyboards with his black-paint-fingers, I was going, 'eeww...' While it does seem to be ruining such a gorgeous piano, I still think the concept is pretty artistic!
I like how Suemitsu-san wearing the hat and the bata sport shoe, haha that is artistic!
Ending theme by Crystal Kay is quite nice too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDV8YFz0LA0
Post a Comment