2

Silverscreen Gems

I meant to do this every time I stepped out of the cinema, but either I couldn't find the time or am just plain lazy. So here, in chronological order, I compiled a short review of the few movies I recently watched and thoroughly appreciated the excellence of its cinematic art.


Yes Man
Photobucket

This is your typical Jim Carrey-comedy. He's still disgustingly funny after so many movies under his belt. What I find attractive was the message of the movie: that sometimes a spontaneous 'yes' can open doors of opportunities for ourselves. To give in to spontaneity may, in some ways and sometimes, enrich not only ours but also others' lives. For a long time, I had not laughed so much in a cinema. You would have thought they had released laughing gas in the theater.
Best Comedy.


崖の上のポニョ (Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea)
Photobucket

Of course I wouldn't miss the animation that was claimed the best in year 2008 in Japan. What's more, it's the product of the master Miyazaki Hayao. And the theme song is so cute it makes me want to watch the movie. So I did. As expected, the animation was fantastic. What I really loved was the voice acting. Little Sousuke and Ponyo were marvellous. Especially Sousuke, I love the little boy to bits!! The storyline was okay, very Miyazaki-fantasy style. The art was of course fabulous: almost every frame was hand-drawn! But I didn't really like Ponyo when she's weak on magical powers.... she looks like a frog-monster!
Best Animation.


Slumdog Millionaire
Photobucket

Recently, there's this fad of Hollywood+Bollywood collaborations. Indian actors and cultures are making waves in Hollywood. Not all are fantastic products, but Slumdog Millionaire is one of the best collaborations ever. This movie is, for no better words, fantastic. It plays on a rather cliché theme of lost love and life's hardships. What I find fascinating about this movie was the vivid depiction of the lives of children in the slums and their perspectives in eking a living. Can you hold on to your innocence with no roof and an empty stomach? Would you cave in or stand by to the end protecting your principles and believing in the people who you think you love? I like the ability of the movie to evoke such philosophical notions and yet able to deliver a fairy-tale ending in the end. The credit of the film though, goes to the child casts. They are simply fantastic. Words cannot describe my awe for their brilliant acting. I also loved the way the movie was filmed. The cinematography itself was intensely emotional and heart-wrenching.
Best Cinematography.


Marley & Me
Photobucket

I've been waiting for this movie for quite a while because the trailer seemed so funny. And I wasn't disappointed after such a long wait. Because I've read the book, the storyline was predictable for me, and so I didn't expect much surprise. Well, I was surprised by the fact that I still cried when Marley died in the movie, although I already knew he would! The movie is great with the scenic outdoor shots and fine acting by Aniston and Wilson. It's a rather good family movie, but the book is still better. One thing I liked about the movie was that it raises a very realistic point in life: that sometimes, we give up our dreams for the people we love and often we wondered, is the sacrifice worth it all?
Best Slice-of-Life.


おくりびと ('Okuribito' - Departures)
Photobucket

Can I just say how much I love this movie??
I LOVE this movie!!!
It totally wrecked me. This is probably the movie in which I cried almost nonstop for a good 10mins. The tears just wouldn't stop flowing. My scarf in the end became my towel, soaking up all my tears. Okuribito won the 81st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film, but I think they should've won the Best Picture. The actors were great, the story was great, the scenery were great, the music was FANTASTIC. With Joe Hisaishi at the hem of the scores, you can expect no less.
Okuribito tells about a cellist-turned-mortician, and how he stood by the job he found to be fulfilling and honorable, despite the social stigma attached to it. I simply loved the way the story weaved the multiple relationships together and perfectly bind all in a very beautiful and satisfactory ending: how the stigma collapsed with his perseverance to pursue a profession so despised by the society, how it helped him reconcile with his estranged father, and how the meaning of the job humbled him as a person. It also shows us just how fragile life is. I haven't watched a Japanese movie this wonderful. Considering it took 10 years to complete the entire production, from the moment actor Masahiro Motoki conceived the idea, this movie is worth far more than 'Best Foreign Film'. A film art coming from such a socially polished society playing such a socially taboo topic, this is a masterpiece, for no better words to describe. I LOVE this movie!
Best-est Movie. Ever.




~みはる~

2 penciled thoughts:

薇薇 said...

i've watched departues today. good one!
good recommendation! :)

Miharu said...

It is simply the best isn't it?

Back to Top