Sitting here, trying to recall what my last 356 days had been like, I reread my posts for the year-ends of previous years. I'm horrified and amused at the same time, seeing on print, the way I reflected at those years. Makes me a tad uncertain how I should do it this year.
2010. It's been a decade since the turn of the millennium. Seems like it had been such a long time, yet so quick time flies, it could have been yesterday we were worrying about the silly Y2K bug. For me, this ten years is probably the most meaningful ten years in my life so far. Standing at the end of 2010 looking back at the start of 2000, I don't think I have the vocabulary to succinctly describe the experience. As I run through the ten years, I do feel substantially aged, but somehow, feel like I am only beginning to understand what life really is. Perhaps I'm a slow learner, but I am only starting to grasp all that ten years worth of stuff life's been heaping on me. (yes, more than half my youth, I was in absolute daze.) It's been a mere ten years, but I have witnessed so many changes in and around me, I still can't quite fully fathom.
I stepped into 2000 a student, and step out of 2010 still a student, albeit a different kind of level. (oh no, this isn't good)
I stepped into 2000 with friends still in school uniforms and complaining about insane amount of homework, and step out of 2010 with friends in wedding gowns and complaining about insane financing needed to buy property and raise a child.
I stepped into 2000 immature, excited and naive about reaching adulthood, and step out of 2010 (hopefully) a little wiser, mellowed and wishing to relive my childhood.
If you were asked to describe the last ten years of your life, what would instantly come to mind? Being an emotional person, my instant association was the spectrum of emotions I had experienced. The laughters and happy times, the tears and sad times, the anger and frustrating times, the fear and despairing times... I find it amazing how, in retrospect, all of it becomes equally nostalgic; it's like they become the old photographs in the old photo album I am now flipping through. And these emotions, they link to the things I have done or experienced that are particularly memorable. So I look back at the 30 most memorable experiences of my 2010 (ten years is too difficult for my ageing brain to recall), and this is what my list is like:
1. My first 10km run in my personal record time of 1hr 12min 25s, which places me 1140th among 4186 women. Not bad for a debut!
2. Grocery shopping at midnight after drinking in a bar.
3. Drank 6 glasses of wine in a little more than an hour, and then somehow managed to get on a bus and walk a straight line to a French school to inquire about French courses, hopped on a bus to do grocery shopping and then somehow managed to walk safely home after transiting in train and bus again.
4. Cooked for a party of ten. Thrice.
5. Got my first Apple product, an iPhone4, on the day of its launching. (I'm never the gadget geek and I'm surprised I did that)
6. Scaled the Notre-Dame Cathedral for the most breathtaking view of Paris.
7. Scaled the Arc de Triomphe for the postcard view of Champs-Elysees.
8. Traveled to my third European country, Belgium, to have a Belgian tea of Belgian waffles and Belgian beer in a quaint Belgian town.
9. Climbed a medieval bell tower for a panoramic view of the UNESCO heritage town, Bruges.
10. Got tanned in (of all places) Paris.
11. Had homemade ratatouille from the fantastic chaucuterie in Montmatre. Madame's French comfort food is tres bien!
12. Tried Kir, a French cocktail, in Paris. Twice. Totally love it.
13. Watched Sir Simon Rattle and Berliner Philharmoniker live in concert.
14. Watched Tan Dun conduct the world premiere of his Violin Concerto with Singapore Symphony Orchestra.
15. Watched Joshua Bell play with Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields. Twice.
16. Got an autograph and photograph with Joshua Bell. Very star-strucked.
17. Watched my first Broadway musical: Chicago. Fantastic!
18. Watched my first theater: Animal Farm. For a local production, I was impressed.
19. Had a taste of heartache.
20. Broken some treasured friendships.
21. Rediscovered old friendships.
22. Went kayaking and finished with very sunburnt feet.
23. Made a globe purely out of bacterial agar. And discovered that Bradford's reagent actually destabilizes agarose.
24. Drank 3 glasses of wine, stayed up all night chatting, after which went jogging at the break of dawn and then drinking again in a bar at night. (I hope mum never finds out)
25. Did a short stint of kickboxing classes.
26. A student declaring 'I love you!' to me... actually, for my classes.
27. A bunch of students confessing they missed me lots... actually, my classes.
28. Had chocolate pellets for a drink.
29. Walked Monet's iconic garden in Giverny.
30. Rediscovered the joy of spontaneity and unrestrained laughter with many friends who made much difference in my life.
I think I shall extend my list for 2011 with more memorable experiences.
Here's to a wonderful 2010 and a promising 2011.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
~みはる~
By



8 penciled thoughts:
I just stumbled upon your blog - love the layout and the writing. I never even thought about 2010 being the end of a Decade...and now I'm going to do some decade assessing of my own. May the next decade bring you more growth!
I'm flattered :) Thanks, and I too wish you a very good decade ahead!! Merry Christmas and happy new year!!
wow, it is cool to remember in detail various events over the past decade. after reading just felt a bit sad because figured out that we get...old:(. wish to turn back the last years but,,,only memomies remain. anyway, a bit of cheer up and happy new year and all the best in 2011.
hey, just found your blog over the new year, I love your writings :)
Thanks everyone! :)
I really love your blog :) Random I know, but it's pretty amazing!
I would have to agree with everyone else here, i only read this post and you make a lot of sense!
I like the design of your blog. Pretty cute and style i say.Iv been working online as a designer but never seen something colorful as this.
Post a Comment