However, words of my wise friends are always at the back of my mind, reprimanding me from time to time to forgo rushing and just slow my pace. And so that was what happened this evening, as I got off work and headed to the track for a quick jog. I would usually walk about half a kilometre to the track, but as I got out of my building today, I saw a shuttle bus pulled to the bus stop about 10m away. Now, I could spend 10mins walking half a kilometre or sprint to the bus stop to catch a 2min bus ride to the track.
Repressing the urge to run to the bus, I turned away from the bus stop and started my walk towards the sports centre. And I was pleasantly rewarded. Dusk was darkening into night as clouds overcast the sky. It had just rained shortly before and the air was cool and refreshing. Streetlights flickered to life. The leaves on the upright trees stirred gently. A distant puddle splashed as a car drove by. Unconsciously, my pace slowed to a leisurely stroll. I breathed deeply and realized how I love being right here at this moment. And how fortunate it is that I had chosen not to ride with the bus.
I love the gentle breeze, not the blast of air-cond of the bus, in my face.
I love the wideness of overcast sky, not the narrow ceiling of bus, over my head.
I love the soft glow of the streetlamp, not the glare of fluorescent light, casting my shadow on the street.
I love the smell of after rain, not the stale air of the bus, in the air.
I love the chirp of crickets, not the din and chatter of people crowding the bus, echoing into the night.
By opting a stroll over a ride, I was rewarded ten full minutes of simple pleasures that is, in fact, omnipresent. I'm glad I slowed my run this evening to heed the stillness of mother nature.
Have you communed with nature today?
~みはる~
By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment