And I must say, that is one of the greatest miss in my entire cinema-life.
Tim Burton's The Corpse Bride, can only be appropriately termed ' a piece of genius'. Because, it is.
I finally get to view this piece of genius when I came across the DVD in the campus media library. While I wouldn't credit the plot as brilliant, I am awed by the concept and creative production. The stop-motion animation augments the dark theme and it is so well done I couldn't believe my eyes. The animators were actually puppeteering; it wasn't the CG-technology-whatnot, it was puppeteering and the effect they produced is, at least to me, astounding.
The concept of 'upstairs' (world of living) and 'downstairs' (world of dead) is also pretty amusing. And oh, the dark humor, of downstairs being far more colorful and lively than upstairs.
Victor trying to pacify Emily by initiating the piano duet.
As always, I have a keen interest in the soundtrack of the movies I watch. This is no different. I love Danny Elfman's use of Victor's theme, repeated and varied at different but significant moments in the story. Particularly, I loved the piano renditions in the movie, "Victor's Solo" and "The Piano Duet" by Victor and (our lovely corpse) Emily.
I have much praises for this production, except one complaint that the plot is rather wan. I mean, it is so convenient to give Victor and Victoria a happy ending (well, ALL stories prefer happy endings). I wondered if it would be more exciting if Victor had drank the poison and died, thus becoming legally married to Emily, the corpse. However, they managed to cook up a pretty lovely ending, and it pulled my heartstrings when Emily blessed the young (living) couple and herself finally released from the pain that had chained her to the living world.
Victor finally said his vows right.
I liked the movie so much, I actually hunted for the DVD. Now I can keep this piece of genius in my shelf for re-runs ^_^
~みはる~
Disclaimer: Images are not mine.



By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment