Just after the SSO concert last week, I had the privilege of attending another concert, played by Yong Siew Toh Conservatory Orchestra last Wednesday. PB had a complimentary ticket to spare and graciously invited me to make full use of the ticket (Thank you PB!).
I haven't listened to other orchestras apart from SSO, so this is quite an eye opener. YSTCO is comprised mostly of the Conservatory's undergrads, and for that evening, they were conducted by Maestro Wang Ya-Hui. The theme for the concert was Poetry Passion Power.
Repertoire:
- Barber - Adagio for Strings Op.1
- Korngold - Violin Concerto in D major Op. 35
- Tchaikovsky - Symphony No.4 in F minor Op.36
I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I went in without high expectations, and came out thoroughly entertained. Maestro Wang was really good, and this was especially evident when they played Tchaikovsky's Symphony. It was very dynamic and expressive, at the same time, ended with much pomp and dignity. Korngold's Violin Concerto was led by soloist Qian Zhou, and it was quite a beautiful rendition. That said, I still prefer Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D over Korngold's.
The audience was not as enthusiastic as last Friday's SSO's, and it seemed they gave pretty lukewarm response to what I deemed great performance. So it came to my surprise that the orchestra obliged us with encore TWICE. And SSO didn't oblige us any regardless the thunderous applause. Hmm.
In any case, I enjoyed the concert alot. My only complaint would be the players were not acutely sensitive to Maestro Wang's conducting. They could have done better. But it was good nonetheless.
Hopefully there'll be more enjoyable concerts to come!
~みはる~

By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment