Themed 'The Beauty of Beethoven', it was a gala concert featuring violinist Leila Josefowicz and conductor Maestro Eri Klas.
Repertoire:
- The Creatures of Prometheus: Overture, Op.43
- Violin Concerto in D Major, Op.61
- Symphony No.7 in A Major, Op.92
Actually, I went for the symphony. I'm not sure whether it was because I was sitting a little far from the stage or it was the flaw in their performance, but I find that I enjoyed Brahm's Symphony No.1 in the previous concert much more than this Beethoven's 7th. The first movement was paced a little too slow for my liking. However, I liked the 2nd and 4th movements: the expression, dynamics and speed were just right.
The first song, The Creatures of Prometheus, was surprisingly enjoyable although a little short. Leila Josefowicz solo-ed the violin concerto, and throughout her performance, only 2 things roll in my head: technique and violin. Her technique was near-perfect and precise, thus every note was clearly and beautifully delivered. And Leila owns a damn good violin. When she played, the most beautiful sound rang in the concert hall. You can tell that is one very well made antique. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this piece too much, because I find it rather bland in expression and in true blue Beethoven style, the same pattern is repeated way too many times. Before long, I could almost tell when a passage is going to be repeated. However, Leila graciously obliged us an encore, where she played a series of high technique passages.
While it was a lovely concert, I didn't enjoy it as much probably because I was pretty tired from work. I had been up since early morning, and it was rather tiring after a long day.
This would probably be my last orchestra concert for some time. Living expenses had skyrocketed lately, and my student salary is taking a big hit, so I'll most likely lay off such luxuries for a while.
~みはる~

By



0 penciled thoughts:
Post a Comment