0

Sweet Rain ~ 死神の精度

君は死ぬことについてどう思う?
(What do you think of death?)

Photobucket

I don't do this often, but this is one of the rare moments where I willingly fork out money (at bad economic times!) for exorbitant cinema tickets, just to spend two hours drooling over the most dashing, coolest man ever walked on Earth.

Of course I'm talking about Kaneshiro Takeshi. While every female would have her preference, not one would refute he's cool. For his age, he's dashing. Handsome. Suave. Dashing. COOL.

*cough* I'll leave my Takeshi-fangirling at that.

Thank's to Sis's recommendation, I did not miss one of the best movies of this year. Kaneshiro Takeshi's latest Japanese movie, entitled 「Sweet Rain~死神の精度」 (a.k.a. Accuracy of Death), took to screens since March in Japan and since last month in other Asian regions. Being the movie-retard I've always been, I had no idea there was a new release by Takeshi. When I realized it is a Japanese film starring Kaneshiro so-dashingly-cool Takeshi, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I do not catch it in the cinema. So, we did. Plonked ourselves in a cinema in the city centre for a 2-hr dose of Takeshi.

Sweet Rain is a film of 3 intertwined short stories, spanning half a century. It follows a Shinigami (Death God) by the name of Chiba, played by none other than Kaneshiro Takeshi, whose job is to interact, for 7 days, with the person who is shortlisted for dying. By the end of the 7 days, he will decide whether to 'proceed' with or 'suspend' the death of the death-candidate. For Chiba, if he feels the candidate has fulfilled his/her purpose of living, he will proceed with the death. Otherwise, he will suspend the death, thus allowing the candidate more time on the land of living.

The first story takes place in 1985, where Chiba was assigned to judge whether a 27-yr old OL (office lady), Fujiki Kazue, is fit for death. If anything, Kazue seems to fit the bill for death. Depressed, surrounded by death, and apparently stalked by some weirdo who longs to hear her voice multiple times a day, Kazue feels life is meaningless and would probably be more than willing to die (much to Chiba's relief). However, during the 7 days of judgement, her interaction with Chiba brought a little light back to her life, and in an unexpected turn of events, she wound up being scouted as a singer. For the first time, Chiba 'suspended' a death.

The second story takes place in our generation of 2007, where Chiba judged a middle-aged yakuza for death. It wasn't so much his interaction with the death candidate Fujita, but Fujita's underling Akutsu, which was central to this story. Akutsu looked up to Fujita as a father figure and would sacrifice himself to prevent Fujita from dying in the yakuza internal conflict. However in his meeting with Chiba, Akutsu was given a painful lesson of faith, courage and reality of death. While Chiba 'proceeded' with the death, it was a death out of expectation (a bit lame if you ask me, but well, he had to die... somehow or rather).

The final story was fast forwarded to the future in the age of 2028, where humanoid robots are already a norm. In a remote coast, lives a 70-yr old dignified hairdresser obaachan (grandma) Kazue, who coincidentally is Chiba's next job list. Interestingly, Kazue was not entirely surprised to receive her unannouced guest Chiba, and she even correctly guessed his Shinigami profile (you just HAVE to look at Takeshi's expression here. Priceless). She is willing to 'go' with him (i.e. accept her death), but before that, she requested that Chiba realize her last wish in the living world. The normally cool and collected Chiba is suddenly placed in a tight spot (human subjects never mess with Shinigamis, what more ask for a favor), as he tried his best to fulfill her wish, which was to gather as many elementary school boys for a free haircut as possible by the day after tomorrow. It turns out, Kazue wanted to glimpse the child of her estranged son before her death. While it wasn't directly shown that Chiba 'proceeded' or 'suspended' the death, I think it's pretty clearly implicated Kazue died a happy obaachan.


Sweet Rain ~ Shinigami no Seido Trailer

This movie is a great alternative to contemporary movies which boast complicated plots, adrenaline-pumping action, twisted characters and elaborate settings. The soothing theme and laidback concept, complete with dashing actor and capable actresses, makes the movie a very pleasant watch. Although simple, it was not lack in entertainment. Emotions were rightly placed at the appropriate scenes and it gives a very refreshing slice-of-life feel. I particularly love the nuances implicated in the movie. The director used rain, blue skies, coin toss, sunflower, and music to finely thread the three stories together very tastefully. By virtue of these elements, we will learn that the hairdresser obaachan Kazue was the same young Kazue who's life Chiba spared in the first story, and lived a long and fulfilling life, learning to put up with the pain and mistakes in life, such as leaving her son Akutsu in the hands of a yakuza in the second story, and yet able to experience the joy of cutting his child's (her grandson's) hair in the epilogue. Simply ingenious and uncomplicated.

I like the idea that Chiba learnt the meaning and precious value of life through his meeting with Fujiki Kazue. It is very heart-warming. In their initial acquaintance, all was gloom and doom for Kazue and Chiba. Every time Chiba's on job, it would definitely be raining, hence he wistfully wonders to Kazue as to when he will actually get to see the blue sky. When he meet the 70-yr old her, he finally get to experience the warmth of the wide blue sky with a jaded Kazue chiding him that a Shinigami like him who sees death everyday would find it difficult to understand the preciousness of life to the living being.

As many reviewers mentioned, this movie will definitely be popular with the ladies because of the eye candy. Um, I mean, Kaneshiro Takeshi. He's so seamless in his act that you wouldn't realize he's been away from Japanese silverscreens for more than 6 years. Furthermore, you'll never find another more good-looking Shinigami than Takeshi. I mean, if you had to come face to face with Death, let it be in the form of Kaneshiro Takeshi and you'd probably die happy. What I was trying to say is, he looks really good in the movie. If you don't watch for the story, just go watch him. It's worth the money. Plus, he's really good with the subtle wit. His naive and innocent antics were pretty funny and lightening.

Oh, I love his side-kick black Retriever. The dog-boss communicates with him! It's really funny. More so if you read Japanese because the punch line is.... Japanese.

Bottomline is, it's really worth watching. I'm waiting for the DVD.


Sweet Rain~Shinigami no Seido Press Conference

Visit the official website

~みはる~

0 penciled thoughts:

Back to Top