雲のむこう、約束の場所

I have a thing for Shinkai Makoto's animation.

His graphics = jewels for the eye.


I was first attracted to Shinkai's most recent work, Byousoku 5 Senchimetoru.
Photobucket
秒速5センチメトール (2007年)

Then recently, I digged up an older masterpiece by the master himself.
Photobucket
雲のむこう、約束の場所 (2004年)

After watching two of his movies, my first thought was - graphic orgy.
While it differs amongst anime fans, I believe Shinkai captures his audience primarily with his bloody gorgeous graphics and seamless animation. To me, there's no better word other than 'beautiful'. I can just fall in love with the graphics alone.

As for his storytelling, I'm inclined to think it's not one many people can appreciate. It's hardly action-packed or incredibly climatic, but I love his subtle style. He drives home thought- and emotion-provoking notions using ubiquitous elements: wind, clouds, birds, sky, flowers, dreams, music. He threads everyday moments - the wait for trains at platforms, the setting of the sun, the morning flight of the birds, the silent fall of the snow, the whisper of the summer wind - to deliver impactful scenes, enabling the audience to make an emotional connection. Hence, I find his style of storytelling leaning towards a more romantic yet thoughtful style. His stories are akin to onions; you need to peel off layer by layer to appreciate the essence of his ideas.

Beyond The Clouds, The Place Promised In Our Early Days (Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho) is a moving story set in the times of war between US, Soviet Union and Japan. It follows two boys, Hiroki and Takuya, and a girl, Sayuri, and how dreams, promises, and parallel reality held the three of them together.

A subtle, romantic science fiction dramatic animation delivered in beautiful graphic art. I think only Shinkai Makoto can achieve this wonderful bittersweet aftertaste.

Highly recommended.

Photobucket


Images from Shinkai Makoto's site.

~みはる~

1 penciled thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Makoto Shinkai is brilliant. Both storyline and arts are so in the spot: painful, real, yet beautiful, it's almost hard to believe he is a common human. It has it all :P
It's the best animes and the best films as well ever made.
I also love tenmon, he owns the music of almost all Makoto's jobs.

Back to Top