0

ただいま

Finally, it all ended yesterday. Semester examinations from hell. I don’t want to walk back down that path, reliving all the depressing and stressful thoughts. Simply glad it’s all over. But the Demon King (as proclaimed by Komatsu Nana), had another trick up its sleeve.

Right after the last paper ended at 4pm yesterday, I headed straight back into my room and packed my stuff. It took me less than an hour, since I did not have much to bring home. Then, I was piling my lecture notes at one corner of the room, feeling relieved the semester is over, and then checked my checklist for the tasks I had to carry out before leaving the room…. and realized that I HAVE ANOTHER LAB REPORT TO BE SUBMITTED BY NEXT MONDAY! Crap… and this is one horribly difficult report to write too. The literature search itself is tedious. Urgh, it feels like the ominous cloud still hangs over my head.

So anyway, I then left my room for the bus stop to catch a cab to the express bus pick up centre. When I reached the bus stop and peered out into the street… the view was (in a sense) gothic-ly magnificent:
An almost stagnant mist hung low in the street-lamp lined avenue. Dim yellow lights bathed the street, the fog blurred the night scene… it was like stepping into Edgar Allan Poe’s horror town. From beyond the shadows, the denizens of the night emerged, fangs bared, ready to sink into the soft flesh of the standing lone mortal, the taste of sweet blood lingering in their tongues.

Sou desu yo.

The incredulously huge mosquitoes feasted on my blood. Apparently, I’m always the mosquitoes’ juicy meal when waiting for a cab to the bus pick up point. Each time, without fail, on my trip back to hometown, I’m subjected to multiple bites from these monstrous species.

Anyway, I managed to get on the bus safely, but like always, I couldn’t get decent sleep in the bus. Probably it’s because I still cannot get use to sleeping in express buses, they are simply uncomfortable. But I do love the night view from the bus. Everytime during my journey home, the skies are peppered with beautiful stars. These cosmic wonders never cease to captivate me – the stars truly looked like diamonds in the sky. I could gaze at the constellations forever, they look so beautiful. Of course, I gave up gazing after like 5 minutes, because the bus was speeding on this super bumpy federal road and it was simply nauseating to continue gazing at the gorgeous natural sight.

Oh, let me tell you about the assisstant bus driver. He’s a bit weird. When the bus resumes journey after the first toilet-break, I took of my shoes and snuggled under the blanket I brought with me (it’s freaking cold in the bus you know). I always do that, without a problem. I mean like, how can there be a problem, you just want to rest comfortably right? Ok, apparently Mr.Assistant-Bus-Driver did not share the same sentiment. When he “patrolled” down the aisle, he stopped next to my seat and said (in mandarin) “You cannot remove your sport shoes”. Initially, I hadn’t heard him right, because I had earphones in the way. Then I stared at him and uttered “ah?” He repeated what he said and I was like - huh??????
Since I didn’t want to make a big fuss, I complied. Just because I boarded the bus from Singapore, do I have to comply with SIA-like take-off/landing procedures? I was amused but oh, what the hell. Then, when I reached my destination, Mr.Asisstant-Bus-Driver was at the boot of the bus, waiting for the passengers to unload their luggages. Mine was particularly bulky although light, because I needed a larger luggage to fit my comforter (the laundry machines in hostel are tad disgusting to wash my fluffly comforter, so I brought it back to clean). So when I went down to take my luggage, this weird guy reprimanded me, “See, why you have to bring such a big luggage. Told you it’s heavy.”
I was like “ 。。。” I just stared at him bewildered, thinking, “So what? あんたと関係ないですよ。If I wanted to carry stones and boulders in this luggage, it also has nothing to do with you.” I was slightly put off, but thought that maybe driving along the bumpy federal roads must have affected his brainwaves, thus decided to overlook his nasty remark.

Well, all aside, it is truly wonderful to be home again.

ただいま。


~みはる~

0 penciled thoughts:

Back to Top