Three years ago, I would go to movies at a frequency of 1 per annum. Reason being, the ticket fares are bloody exorbitant and I find it ridiculous spending so much for a 90-minute reel time.
Three years later, I am going for movies at a minimum average frequency of 1 per fortnight. Reason being, the weather is so bloody hot there's no better place to be than inside the dark and cold enclosure of the cinema to escape the heat stress. I would be more than happy to pay a small sum for some visual action and respite from heat.
So in my escapade, I watched some movies which were (mostly) quite well worth the fee:
Knowing
The trailer had promised lots of action, excitement, suspense and mystery. To be fair, I did enjoy the action and drama, especially the scene at the underground subway. The whole logic of predicting tragedies from random numbers scribbled by 'chosen' children was fascinatingly freakish. However, the science fiction of Earth being decimated by a solar flame seemed incredulous. And I hated the cinematography; all the camera-shaking during the running sequences gave me a headache and made me feel like puking. But, the ending takes the cake: it left me dumbfounded. When the aliens and spacecraft came down and sucked the two kids and rabbits up with them, the only thought in my mind was, "What the hell?!" It was one movie where it was good until the last ten minutes screwed it all up.
And they could have casted a more good looking hero? Nicholas Cage didn't really fit the bill for me.
Night At The Museum 2
I really liked the first installment of Night At The Museum. It was hilarious with all the artefacts coming to life. So, I wasn't very sure if the sequel can really top that. Well, I can say, that while it didn't, the sequel was equally as hilarious. Hank Azaria as the evil Kahmunrah was just mind-blowing funny. The plot was lukewarm, but it was the dialogue and the poking fun at historical facts that was worth a laugh. Amy Adams was surprisingly good as the adventure-seeking Amelia Earhart, and the rapping trio of cupids as well as The (lusty) Thinker were really hilarious to watch. And the tiny head-bobbing Einsteins are really more than just merely reception decorations!
Monsters vs Aliens
One word: Hilarious.
From start to finish, I was laughing my head off. Initially, I was wary of watching this movie, because the synopsis scripted a rather lame storyline by my standards. And yes, after watching it I still think the plot is stupid and lame, but it is just so hilarious! The jokes and the characters were so funny, I laughed so hard that I felt lethargic after stepping out of the cinema. I really love the part when the mad cockroach scientist broke into a dance, decoded the password and declared his PhD was majored in breakdance! And brainless BOB was just so so funny. This is not one movie to watch intellectually but to laugh your butt off.
Angels and Demons
Okay, I didn't read the book. And I didn't watch The Da Vinci Code. Because I have read the book The Da Vinci Code, I was kinda apprehensive that I may not understand the story from the movie without prior reading the book; there was just too much narrative information in The Da Vinci Code. So, it came as a surprise to me that I did enjoy the movie Angels and Demons. The thriller did a good job in raising suspension, but having read Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code, the outcome was quite predictable for me. I sort of knew Camerlengo was somehow part of the plot, and the diversion of suspicion towards the Swiss Guards was just to make sure the audience see Camerlengo in a positive light. The mind-screwing (i.e. symbology) was not as gripping as what I've read in the Da Vinci Code, but reasonably fascinating. I liked the implication of pentagon and five natural elements, and the play with signs and angels. Nevertheless, the sceneries and outdoor shots were marvellous; they make me want to visit the Vatican City at least once just to experience the fantastic view from the Pope's vantage point. Hahaha.
I think I'll pick up the book for a good read.
The Taking of Pelham 123
I was taken in by the trailer. Action-packed, with hints of terrorism, it is one movie that seemed relevant to the social standing of our society today. Kinda reminds me of Tokyo's underground sarin gas attack and London's tube incident years ago. The movie was not a total disappointment; the action was good, the suspense was there, the cinematography was waaaaay better than Knowing. But the ending didn't really feel satisfactory. I mean, the entire terrorism plan was well thought and pretty smart I'd say, but I have no idea why gold trading would be volatile towards the state of transportation in a metropolitan city. And it just doesn't feel like a good end when the terrorist earned millions and then die at point blank when he had the chance to make a break. It was just.... not satisfactory.
Umm, more movies?
~みはる~
Little Raincoat Girls
-
Little girls in raincoats are so cute.
[image: Photobucket]
Saw a little girl decked in a mini-raincoat and carrying a mini
strawberry-shaped umbrella on ...
15 years ago





By



2 penciled thoughts:
u bad... spoilt the plot of the Pelham123 for me. Was wanting to watch it later one.
You are lucky you din read the Angel's and Demons book before you watch the show. To me, it missed out a lot of things. The plot should be much thicker... But then, you can't expect everything from the book to be in the movie.
Oops... sorry... but you could've skipped my summary, so it's your bad hahaha.
Post a Comment