0

音楽の力

As scheduled last week, I went for the violin trial lesson yesterday after my Japanese lesson. To my disappointment, the actual violin instructor was not able to return in time from her orchestra performance overseas, hence a student/teacher (I think) relieved her position.

Okay now I don't want to sound shallow, but when I saw G, the student/teacher, I was slightly taken aback. Bespectacled and timid, I had thought for a moment whether I had entered the wrong studio. But as it appears, G was about to blow me away.

So we did a brief "Hello, how are you" before G shyly asked me what I know (and want to know) about the violin. I had thought it was a pretty standard question, so I just shared my tiny knowledge on violin with him. He looked really nervous, probably it was his first time teaching an adult, so I thought to help him relax by jokingly telling him to show off his violin playing skills. "Play me a song, show off your skills. Don't worry, I'm tone deaf, you can play anything and I'll think it's music. Haha" Very lame, I know, but was just trying to ease the tension. "Okay," G shyly replied as he placed his (very gorgeous) violin under his chin and positioned the bow.

The moment G drew the bow, the violin sang very beautiful music and he completely transformed into a very different person. There wasn't a hint of shyness or timidity; it was a very confident and graceful demonstration, and for the moment, I saw a different G. He exuded confidence and was very obviously enjoying playing the violin. I was really awed by the transformation before my eyes.

Then I thought, "This must be the power of music."

It goes without saying by the end of the day, I ended up with a violin and violin lessons every weekend beginning next year.

これもきっと音楽の力だと思う。

~みはる~

0 penciled thoughts:

Back to Top