Yes, I was at Esplanade Concert Hall experiencing classical music played by Singapore Symphony Orchestra, with a special appearance by the world violin child prodigy Sarah Chang, in a Gala concert themed: The Persistence of Memory.
Repertoire:
- Ravel - Rapsodie Espagnole
- Michael Hersch - Ashes of Memory (Asian premiere)
- Sibelius - Violin Concerto in D, Op.47
I must say, I'm surprised I enjoyed it a lot. In the past, classical music, not to mention watching an orchestra, would put me to sleep. However, I had come to develop a liking for classical music, and as well as appreciating orchestral music.
The performance for the gala was conducted by Maestro Lan Shui, whom I think is great. I especially liked the first movement of Hersch's Ashes of Memory; it was moderately paced tinged with melancholy. Ravel's work was also fun to listen to, especially the last movement.
Of course, the attraction that drew me to the concert was Sarah Chang. I paid to watch her play live. And it was worth it. Her violin-playing was top-class and the sound was just beautiful. But darn, she refused to oblige us with an encore. If she does come back next time with Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, I would be grabbing for the best seat.
I enjoyed the concert so much that I'm towing my sister and WW for another concert in April. This time, I'm paying to listen to Brahms' Symphony No.1 in C minor. Yes, it's Chiaki's song. *cough*NodameCantabileUberFan*cough*
My only complain though, is the timing of the concert. I had to skip dinner in order to travel down to the bay for the concert. Darn hungry throughout the performance.
Can't wait for the next show!
~みはる~

By



2 penciled thoughts:
I'd pay to watch the Beethoven and Gershwin. XD
Haha... Beethoven's not going to make it, but in May SSO will be playing a repertoire of Beethoven's works under the baton of Maestro Eri Klas.
Post a Comment