0

Mi-ku

Everytime I return to my hometown, I would take the opportunity to eat as much local cuisine as possible. You know, the craving for something authentic, something only found in your hometown.

This time around, I had a craving for this bun called "mi-ku" in Hokkien. It's actually a very plain flour bun, without any fillings watsoever. However, when taken warm with butter, the simplicity of the bun-meal makes me fuzzy all over. The "mi-ku" takes the shape of a pink turtle sitting atop a piece of paper, like this:


"Mi-ku" are usually used as offerings for prayers by the chinese Taoist community. The reason the bun is shaped like a turtle is because it is an auspicious symbol in the Chinese culture. I don't know why it is painted with pink dye, but the blue print on the back of turtle usually means "prosperity". The paper underneath the turtle probably is placed for baking convenience.

The edible part of the "mi-ku" is the body of the turtle, which is made of self-raising flour. It is fluffy inside; when steamed and spread with butter, the warm and soft texture of the bun with the fragrance of the butter renders a pleasant experience of eating plain bread.

So, the day after the 15th-day-of-chinese-month prayers, I woke up, eager for a breakfast of warm "mi-ku". To my greatest horror, when I lifted the larder, the turtle was GONE!!! I was aghast at the prospects of my "mi-ku" being gobbled ahead by another resident at home. I was so devastated, after all, it was only during this time of the month the "mi-ku"s are on sale! If the buns are eaten, I would have to wait another month, for which I will no longer be hanging around at home!

I raided all the possible corners of the kitchen where the turtle could possible hide.... but naught!!! Grouchily, I suspect that my turtle must have been consumed by Grandma, who doesn't understand my deep craving for "mi-ku". Darn, the thought ruined my day. Then, out of a sliver of hope, I looked into the cooking pot.... and to my unbelievable delight, the turtle is in there!!!! Waiiiii~~!! I danced in delirium, and quickly steam the bun before it disappears for good.

Ahh... the warm and soft texture of "mi-ku" never fails to satisfy my craving for simplistic bakery.

~みはる~

0 penciled thoughts:

Back to Top